The Advantages and Disadvantages of Playing Poker for a Living
Many online poker players that are playing poker online just for recreation have no idea what it takes in order to do it for a living. This is the reason why before you will jump in this boat you must be aware of what it takes and most important what sacrifice you have to make in order to be able to start playing poker for a living.
Many people are thinking that playing poker for a living is going to have only positive effects on their life, but the truth is that there are good and bad things that will happen the moment you decide to take this path in your life.
The purpose of this article is to bring you both the advantages and the disadvantages of playing poker for a living. This way you will know exactly what you have to deal with before leaving your day job.
In order not to bring down people that are looking forward to doing this we are going to start to put up the advantages that you will get for playing poker for a living:
- Flexible schedule – one of the most important advantages that a person will get for playing poker online for a living is the fact that he can select his working hours. This means that he can select his days of work of the week and he can also choose the hours when he should work. This way playing poker online will not be just like working from 9 to 5, and the hassle you used to get from waking up at 7.00 a.m. to get to the office will no longer be part of your life.
- Travel, explore & meet new people – a professional player will not only have to play poker online but he can also attend the different live poker tournaments that take place all over the world, starting from Las Vegas to Monaco, London and other large cities in the world. This means that by being a full time poker player you get to travel a lot in order to be part of the tournaments. This way you can feel like you’re on vacation, when you’re actually there to win some money. And after you manage to win a good amount of money you can treat yourself with a few days to relax, in a very nice resort, since most large poker events take place at some of the most luxurious hotels in the world. These tournaments are also a good place to meet new people that have the same job as you do: play poker.
- Win more than your day job – even if not all professional poker players are millionaires, the moment you decide to start playing poker as a professional player and fully concentrate on this you will automatically have the opportunity to win some incredibly large amounts of money. You will know that you can start playing poker for a living, the moment when you start earning per hour more than you would at the current day job that you have. However you should allow more time to see this before giving up on your job.
And like anything in this world, the moment you decide to play poker online as your main source of income there are going to be some drawbacks. Here we are going to present the disadvantages of playing poker for a living:
- No monthly fixed income – The moment you start playing poker for living you will no longer have a fix sum of money coming in your account every month. This way some months might prove to have a negative balance, while others are going to bring you a lot of money in your pocket. This disadvantage is going to make you feel a little bit unsecured, since you no longer have a fixed amount of money that you can count on every month. If you have lived with a day job for a long time it’s going to be difficult for you to know that the next month you might not have money coming in. This is the reason why, before taking this decision to play poker for a living you must have a good amount of money put aside for bad times.
- Playing online poker for a living leads to a passive life style – This means that from this moment on most of the time you are going to be sitting in front of the computer playing poker, in case this is what you would like to do with your life.
- Online poker is a one man show – So you will feel kind of lonely to sit all day long in front of the computer playing poker, with no one around. In case you are a very sociable person, you are going to miss the days spent in the office where there are many people around you.
- Not all professional poker players are winners – The moment you start playing poker as your main source of income is not necessarily going to be a success. You must be a very good and constant online poker player in order to be successful. It’s going to take a lot of practice and patience to reach a good level. But in case you are very passionate about playing poker online you should not let anything stand in your way.
Short tips that you should take into consideration when playing poker for a living:
- Bankroll management VS Your expectations VS Time spent – As a professional poker player you must take a lot more factors into consideration. One of the most important things that you should know about is bankroll management, without a proper bankroll management you will end up being broke in no time. The second thing that you should think about is what are your expectations? How much do you consider being the minimum amount of money you have to earn per hour? And in the end the most important thing is to evaluate the results by taking into consideration the amount of money you have managed to win and the total number of hours you’ve spent playing poker.
- Multi Table Poker – is the key of success of any professional online poker grinder that is playing poker for a living. The moment you learn how to concentrate on playing poker at more than one table, you will be able to start earning more money from your online poker play. By using the power of multi table poker you can earn 2 times or even 3 times more money during the same amount of time and the more you practice this, the better you will get at doing it.
- A winning attitude – people that are stubborn are definitely going to be the first victim to play poker for a living. This means that in order to be successful at an online poker table, you must adapt to each situation. This means to apply a different strategy for each and every table, depending on what type of opponents you are dealing with, what cards you keep getting, what is the type of game and what is the stake level. This means that only a flexible person that has a certain type of personality and attitude is going to be able to surpass all the problems that occur at playing online poker for a living. And you must be that type of person or at least try to adapt as much as possible to get the most out of your online poker play.